Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Stumbling Into Art

Isn't it amazing - the sheer scope of what you can run across on the web? I have a strong interest in art but no formal background - though some informal practice with writing poetry (I woke up from a nightmare and started spontaneously writing poetry.) I started writing poetry about three years ago. My first poem was written as though I were taking dictation from some unknown voice. It certainly wasn't anything like my "normal"' voice but I decided to go with the flow and write the words down. Here's my first poem (about drowning in a sea of whys):

 Why?

 I swim in a sea of whys;
It envelopes me and holds me hostage
Permeates my body and soul;
Tries to keep me in bondage
Why me? Why her?
Why this? Why that?
Why life? Why death?
Why?

The question at the core;
The one with no answer;
The one that breaks the heart;
It feels like a cancer.
I open my eyes in the dark;
Determined not to drown;
I try not to struggle,
Just to hold my ground.
Quiet the tears;
Breathe away the shivers;
Accept the fears,
Live with the quivers.
No answers, but many choices;
To live or to die;
To laugh, to cry;
To reach out, to pull in
Or to try, simply try.
I choose to float; That is my dream;
No matter the questions,
 I try not to scream.
Just to let go, to give in
To surrender
To seek blessed peace,
To ask no more questions.

I don't spend as much time writing poetry as I used to because I've developed a greater interest in the visual arts. Working on my drawing and painting skills. No doubt, my development in that area will be long and drawn out but also I think, wonderful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment