Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ceremony for Ann

   I chickened out of going at the last moment.  It felt overwhelming to think of Ann and all the others who've gone ahead:

     Robert (ALS) - who spoke through a box
     Hilda- who made me feel so welcomed into the group, who asked for so little but gave so much
     Mary Kate - who was so tired of waiting
     Parvathy - SO young
     Ernie - who loved surfing as I love skiing
     Deborah - who was scared, then angry, then ready
     Mary - who was SO prepared
     Dick- who in his 80s was teaching Critical Thinking
     Phyllis (Rob's wife) - who fought all the way
     now Ann - our beloved Ann- our poet, here, not here, yet always trying to give.

Mick read a poem Ann had written for the group.


"Ceremony"
 
There are more things in this world
than tears: Wednesday 2010.
we stand before flowers and candles,
caring for those who have passed
before. I feel a trifle dizzy
saying each name-- Robert and Hilda,
Mary, Parvarthy , MaryKate, Deborah, .Ernie, Dick
(and now Phyllis and Ann)
I am sad remembering the rest
of us are ill, swept up
in that wave of storm.
There are few remaining
in the small rubber boat--
yellow slickers buttoned up to our chins--
yet we remain in good spirits.
Beyond the clouds stars
are shining, our six friends.
This is a good day
to be content, they say:
the difference between
crying and laughter isn't much.
Wednesday afternoon: soon
we'll be on our way, stopping
for groceries on the way home.
Supper by 7:00, it will be low tide.
The waves gentle again,
the stars breathing fresh air.

It is good to be alive.  But I can't help feeling that all who started with me will be gone by the time I go.
Still, I feel that Ann is smiling from somewhere not so far away.  In the meantime, I'll keep my yellow slicker
buttoned up to my chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment