Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Communication and Philosophy

      I often, unconsciously, talk about myself and the things I've done, experiences I've had.  It's self-centered and not the most considerate approach in communicating....but, believe it or not, that's never  the intention.  If I spoke consciously from intention at all times, I'd probably be much quieter and quite a bit more careful about what I say.

    The thing is I REALLY don't believe one person is better than another because of what he/she does for a living, what their background is, etc.  Though it's much easier said than done, I believe in the concepts of tolerance and acceptance.  Those are ideals of mine at any rate.  Living by them, moment by moment, is not a sure thing......but it is always the goal.

   I very much believe in open communication.....putting issues out on the table for resolution and then moving on ----not holding on and making ulcers out of them.  This approach works pretty well in my marriage but that is because both parities believe in it and the goal is always to resolve any concerns.
It makes me a little crazy not to be able to express issues openly.  I also understand that many, if not most, people don't take the same approach.

   Though uncomfortable, I've actually taken this open communication approach in work discussions with a boss.  There have been times when I thought it would blow up in my face but it actually never has.  l learned more than once that my perceptions were wildly out to lunch.  In the majority of cases, the boss in question, thanked me profusely and went on to clearly try to address my questions.

   It's easy to fall into forming impressions of someone who makes you uncomfortable, perhaps to consciously or unconsciously even target that person because of some perceived wrong that person has committed against you.  What would it be like to find out that the person in question is actually not at all how you perceive them to be?

   But, is that what true kindness is?  Offering a caring smile and a hand outstretched to help, never to hinder - a desire to bring together people, not to separate or isolate anyone.   Wouldn't it be something to try to do that with no conditions attached?

   I am far from angelic and stumble frequently.   One of the strange advantages of being ill is that you come to realize how fragile life is and, accordingly, that putting focus on how we live each moment is really important.  I am laughing as I write this because I can so easily be swept up by staggering depression at times that speaking of ideals is more wishful than actual.

   Nevertheless, I know what I'm aiming for.  I screw up frequently.  Hopefully, before too much time has gone by, I re-set with my ideals in mind and go from there.

  "To thine own self be true....." according to William Shakespeare.  For me, this means to try to live according to my ideals.  But, whatever those are, whatever causes I support whether it be saving elephants, curing cancer, finding my way through Parkinson's Disease with as much light as possible, I believe the ideal is part of a framework.  How I act within that framework is what matters most -- in my day to day interactions with Earth, animals and other human beings.  If my purpose is the overall expression of love, then at least trying to be kind in my interactions is a given.  

No comments:

Post a Comment