Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

Away to Play and Learn

     I have spent the last three days in an art workshop in Oregon.  I've learned a lot; also that the amount that could be learned seems infinite.  It is SO wonderful to be able to ask question after question and to receive substantive answers.  I'm swimming in new found knowledge (note- Not drowning).

     After this, I will be focusing for a time on improving my drawing skills!

     At this workshop, however, I have learned about composition, design, values, etc.  Wow---good paintings are not spontaneous creations by geniuses.  Rather, they are the result of a lot of hard work --- starting with the process of designing a composition.....focused on the interplay of dark and light values,  interesting shapes, the use of lines, etc to create drama and tension or whatever feeling the artist is trying to convey! That is a new point in itself for me!  The artist seeks to share the scene as he/she saw it and the feelings that accompanied it!  He/she wishes to draw the viewer in to explore the whole of it.

     It has been a wonderful 3 days.  I am so grateful to have had this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment