Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Expanding Perception: The Power of Vulnerability


"Human connection is what gives meaning to our lives," according to Brene Brown.

 In order to form connection, we have to allow ourselves to be truly seen. People who have a strong sense of love and belonging have a strong sense of worthiness. People who have an underlying sense of not being worthy also tend to struggle with their sense of belonging. The "whole-hearted," as Brene refers to them, understand that in order to fully connect, we must allow ourselves to be fully vulnerable. Most of us, in some form or another, attempt to numb our vulnerability. It is when we accept ourselves as vulnerable, that we begin to truly live with compassion for ourselves and, in turn, for others. 

Personally, I struggle a lot with my sense of belonging......thankfully, not in my marriage or with people I allow myself to be vulnerable with. With those people, I can be my imperfect self and know that I am accepted. As trust is very difficult for me, I create "fortress walls" around myself as protection. This certainly doesn't help in my efforts to expand human connection. It basically conflicts with the "spirit" of the person I wish myself to be.

This talk by Brene Brown is one of the best I have listened to.


 Uploaded on Jan 3, 2011 http://www.ted.com Brene Brown studies human connection -- our ability to empathize, belong, love. In a poignant, funny talk at TEDxHouston, she shares a deep insight from her research, one that sent her on a personal quest to know herself as well as to understand humanity. A talk to share.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment