Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Never Give Up the Fight!


Inspire Brief - Dylan Thomas Poem from Katie Knowles on Vimeo.


      This poem by Dylan Thomas is very meaningful to me.  Parkinson's Disease is a gradual but ruthlessly steady thief of strength, cognition, of self.  One asks so many questions which no one seems able to answer.  Why?  Why me?  What is the purpose of life?  Who am I now?  Who will I be tomorrow?  What will I be able to do or not do?
     In the last several months, I have hardly set foot outside of the house.  I walk the dog because I love her.  But, otherwise, I have hidden myself away from the day to day struggle, disappointments with the behavior of people, etc etc.  And, yet, by doing so, I am effectively "killing" myself, removing myself from the world., floating along in my happily "contained" environment consisting of loving husband, loving dog, art/garden/poetry. etc which I love.
     I had forgotten that I have come to believe that the purpose of life is to love, to share the best (and worst) of oneself with the world and vice-versa.  I had forgotten my belief that people are fundamentally good, that we are all trying to do the best that we can with whatever we have.  I had forgotten to love myself, to remember the strength that is me, to put fear under the covers, to step out into the sunshine and smile.
   I promise I will try to do better.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment