Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My Introduction to Downhill Skiing

It was Xmas day. My husband's favorite resort is Alpine Meadows so that's where we went. I don't think I would normally recommend Alpine as an ideal first time lesson resort (not that much available for beginners).

As mentioned, the only reason I went was because my husband begged me to. I had tried downhill skiing once about 20 years ago. As I hadn't prepared to go downhill skiing (a group of friends were staying at a cabin and the people who downhill skiied asked me to come along and try it). I had jeans, which they said would be fine---absolutely wrong!!! I fell down a lot, was cold and miserable and vowed never to do it again.:

So that first day, my husband made sure I was well outfitted. A friend loaned me a hot pink ski suit to wear; we rented equipment and I had all sorts of other stuff from my husband to ensure that I had what I needed (Xmas presents devoted to ski stuff).

We got off to a late start, so I took the 1:30 PM lesson. The instructor's name was Walter and the class had 3 other Asian women in it.

Walter asked why I was there and I told him it was only because my then boyfriend had asked me to try it. You can imagine what he was thinking...

We worked on very simple things, like just feeling comfortable moving around with long sticks attached to your feet. We made our way around the small green area around the Subway lift. We got on and off the subway lift a couple of times--which was very exciting!:

I remember that it was a powder day. Not a huge storm but just enough to feel like you were floating a little. It was very cold but I was very comfortable in my outfit. I forgot that I was sick with a cold. I remember thinking how beautiful everything looked and how fresh the air felt. I was amazed at how comfortable I was.

I wasn't particularly adventurous. But the three Asian women and I were having a lot of fun and laughing a lot.

Our biggest accomplishment at the end of the lesson was to go down a little hill. Top speed no doubt very slow...but nevertheless thrilling. Walter was surprised that I "went for it". I had a small feeling of success but more than that was really surprised at how much fun the whole thing was.:

It was a very different experience from the one 20 years before. Most notably, I was dry the whole time, totally comfortable temperature wise and having a lot more fun. I think Walter was (is?) very good at his job and that helped a lot.

In terms of preparing to ski for the first time, I do think it makes a world of difference to have the right equipment and , honestly, if you have access to an experienced skiier, that helps a lot too. Make sure you have warm/comfortable ski clothing, good equipment (probably best to rent from the resort....my husband had rented skis for me to bring along and I remember Walter suggesting it would be easier to be on shorter skis....).

Also, definitely take a lesson from a ski pro. A pro will know how to tell you what you need to do (or at least have a much better idea and all sorts of drills to practice to try to get the point across). My husband never attempted to coach me (smart man!) to any great degree.

It requires some time to get used to skis. People who start out younger and have a lot of athletic background seem to pick things up faster. I was 48 three years ago and I've done certain athletic things (tennis, cycling, etc) but I wouldn't describe myself as a natural athlete at all. But I think anyone can keep progressing if they want to (so what if it takes longer?).

It is hard to articulate just how rewarding skiing can feel. Maybe I had a very small taste when I went down the little hill on the first lesson. But, somehow, when you combine the beauty of the surroundings, being outdoors and being physcial, learning to trust your body, surrendering to the feeling of falling, the rush of speed (to some degree), the feeling of flowing and being in harmony with everything....it is an experience that is incredible! Also, to be afraid of something but to overcome the fear and do it is also really rewarding. I have never experienced a sport that is as fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment