Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Re-post of a Poem from March 1, 2013 - Searching for Evolution

Searching for Evolution

by Marlene G. McNew*




Where did I leave my keys?
I gave them to you, didn’t I?
You keep trying to throw them back.
And I keep walking in prayer circles,
my head bowed, eyes closed
wishing for stunted growth,
an oath I took to keep myself small,
insulated from the harsh,
never- ending echoes
of lightning’s song
misunderstood.

I keep myself tiny as if
wishing to fit through the magic
keyhole, the promised land
of breathing clouds and unrestricted air.

The truth is I am too nebulous
to gather my cells into cohesive flow.
So raging large and unkempt hues,
I float in unbound circles,
bumping into concrete walls,
as predictably as waves seeking rocks
to crash against.

But I begin to hear a vague melody
on the other side of this blue wall of  hail.
It is a siren song, my composition
of broken pieces melded into harmony

I hear the whispered words that call:
Hey you!  Toss me those keys back!
They are mine to keep.
I asked you to watch them, to treasure
my trust in you.
I did not intend to nail you behind a shut door,
to keep you hostage, to gift you my divinity.

I did not mean to lose my way,
to overstay this sweet visit
with your voice, so seemingly steadfast.
I did not mean to trip into your
weary rest from rocks.

Hand me those keys please.
I will find the road to sunrise
on my own, alone but not,
adrift in purpose,
the saving of my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment