Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Training, Art, Poetry

Well, haven't posted in a few days.  So busy I can hardly tell which end is up!

Swim training is not doing the trick on its own to get me comfortable in water again.  A long time ago, I took a several classes with Melon Dash (Conquer Fear of Water) and I felt amazingly fearless of water.   I even did open water snorkeling with her and with Henry on our honeymoon.  It's a matter of confidence.  Give me a pair of fins and I can go anywhere (I know I can tread a very long time with fins).  I even used to swim 5 days/week in a deep water pool.  However, lack of practice for years has apparently taken its toll.  So, today I'm starting special lessons!  Counting on that to do the trick!

The literary magazine is going into its final stages!  Wow!  So much work!!  I sent in a last minute art submission.  See below:


Its titled "Do You Really See Me?*" based on Edward Weston's 1932 photograph of Harold Kreuzberg, from "The Form of the Nude," by Edward Weston.

Based on an email last night, it looks like one of my poems will make it into the DeAnza College literary magazine.  I'm posting it below:




Excavation*

From the dark side of the moon,
I watched ice crystals fall,
like paratroopers into a war zone.

Their arcs drew borders in blood
across a vast span of blizzard.

“God wills it” they called
with each strike of the sword,
cutting away
the softness  of gentle powder,
leaving behind clear blue ice.

I searched
for the safety of Mother Mountain,
the towering spirit of pines,
the rising wings of free form flight.

But the snow had turned red,
melted under the righteous heat
of the sun.

The Sahara stretched to infinity.

Where are the fields of green
.I trusted in,
the spring of still waters?

The call whispered from a great distance,
the dark side of the moon.

It said, “Turn the light on,
within

and look again.”

* all rights reserved by artist, Marlene G. McNew

No comments:

Post a Comment