Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting Into Shape

I have a ways to go to get into shape for the sprint triathlon.  I'm swimming 3 nights/week with the beginners group of the Masters program.  Thursday night is a coached track practice.  Saturday mornings vary --this Saturday will be a coached swim and bike practice.

I was lying comatose on the couch last night after a day of non-stop errands, appointments and swim practice.  My day finished at about 9:00 PM.  My sinuses were killing me and I just lay there....until Henry said, "Take an Alleve."  That helped....along with a warm shower.

Got up this morning and thought there is just too much going on.  So, I had to skip drawing class.  Should be getting easier as I get into better shape.

Also, I'm taking a class at a junior college, De Anza, and helping to put together their literary magazine.  Deadline just passed and we have tons of poems and short stories to read, comment and vote on (whether to publish or not).  That class will be finished at the end of June.  I am not taking any formal classes during the summer (though continuing with drawing lessons).

So, this morning, I'm disappointed to be missing drawing....but also know it was the right decision for today.  Later, going to my Buddhist support group meeting (which I've been missing a lot) followed by the afternoon working on the literary magazine and then swim practice directly after.

I needed an extra motivating push this AM and remembered one of my favorite films, "The Spirit of the Marathon."  I've never run a marathon.  I did walk the Nike Women's half marathon in 2008 and I had the feeling they refer to in the film.  "You triumph over the adversity and therefore you know, there isn't anything in life you can't triumph over."

I would modify that.  Nothing that I do will cure my PD.  Rather than triumph over it, I am coming to the realization that I need to accept it.  But, in accepting it, I don't have to lie down and just allow it to take over.   I can try to be the best me that I can be and that means extending myself to take care of myself, looking for ways to help others, looking for ways to "dance' with Parkinson's Disease with the full amount of grace and power that I am capable of.

It may seem overly dramatic but I do love the film "Spirit of the Marathon" and it motivates me just to watch it.  Note that at the bottom of my blog is a poem video called "Marathon" that expresses how I feel about that kind of an experience --extending yourself beyond what you think you're capable of doing and the feelings of accomplishment that engenders (much like the feelings skiing has provided for me.)

Here's the trailer for "Spirit of the Marathon."


No comments:

Post a Comment