Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Communication

In the best of circumstances, it's straight forward, "let's get it out on the table and move on."  This is the way it is with Henry (thank God!) and the friends I'm most at ease with.  Then there are people you think you know too some degree but really don't because they can't bring themselves to talk about issues or concerns, so they drop out of your life with no explanation and talk about you behind your back.  This may be harsh but it strikes me as cowardice.  Do they think they're hurting you less by clamming up and, even more so, by no longer being your friend (without ever even trying to explain..or pretending everything is ok but avoiding you).  Far far better and braver, imho, to say "I'm uncomfortable for the following reasons...."

Frankly, communication is not one of my greatest strengths but I do know how much it means to me to feel supported, not judged and, most of all, to feel so comfortable that I trust the other person accordingly.
I need quite a bit of practice to communicate like this myself.  But I really want this for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment