Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Short Radius Ski Turns

     It actually snowed in Tahoe for 3 of the days I was there last week.  The first day I had a powder type lesson with my ski instructor, Carol.  Most of it was on groomed packed powder but we did one run (unintentionally) on a difficult blue run at Alpine Meadows called "Yellow."  Very exciting!  Fell several times into soft powder (people on all sides were falling).  But, overall, a really good day.......learned more about skiing powder (as snow was falling constantly).  Basically, it's not so different from regular skiing but you don't want to put too much pressure on edges.  Finally got to ski my beautiful Salomon Geishas (pictured below).  For fluffy powder days, wonderful.

   The second day I did more work on short radius turns (as demonstrated in the attached PSI video):

I did a few of them fairly well (until I hit a pocket of deeper snow and got thrown off).
Man, they are hard work - very rhythmical which is great but as you lower and rise to go from center to side and back, etc. you are making tremendous use of your abs (& glutes, quads, hamstrings, etc).
"Skiing is a sport," as my former instructor used to laughingly say.

Anyway, here is an image of the Geishas:




No comments:

Post a Comment