Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

On Choosing the Path of Kindness

     When you become ill with a serious disease, you begin to focus in more and more on each moment, what seems truly important in life and how you choose to live.

     For myself, I try to choose the path of self-sustenance.  By that I mean, I try to be as positive as I can, to move as forward as possible, to find the best path through life.

    One example is my choice to ski.   I  ski, not mainly for sensual pleasure but for the sense of fulfillment it provides (a sense of gratitude for simply being alive, for bring a small part of an immensely beautiful universe).  There is a type of spiritual connection for me in skiing.  In addition to that,  any form of exercise is very good for my health, but something I love to do is even better.

     On a larger scale, I try to be conscious of how I am treating people in my day to day interactions with them.  I try to choose the path of kindness.  Often, I'm not conscious enough to be successful (especially if a situation is charged for me).  Nevertheless, I keep trying in all cases.

     A simple smile can be like a light in the darkness.  I remember having an elderly woman go way out of her way to help me find things in the Truckee Safeway one day.  I didn't really need her assistance but I was struck by her intention to be kind and helpful.

      There is a different path I think we all find ourselves on at times.......the path of judgment.  I think it relates to fear somehow......perhaps a fear of behavior one doesn't understand or relate to, a fear of open expression as if one were asking to be bashed in the head.  I wonder what it would feel like to walk a mile in the shoes of the person being judged.   If we can actually put ourselves in the shoes of that person, it might be eye-opening.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment