Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Trying to Learn Art

    I retired from my job for medical reasons a couple of years ago (at the initiation of my boss).  I had been for approximately the last 10 years of my career employed by the same company.  It is a medium sized ($40 million revenue), publicly traded medical device company.  For 9 of the last 10 years, I was its Controller (in charge of all internal accounting and finance functions....payroll, receivables, payables, SEC reporting, budgets  & forecasts as well as certain external areas...our annual external audit, tax, compliance, legal requirements).  I had a staff of 5 people and reported to the CFO.  In my last year with that company, I stepped down from being the Controller to a position as the "Internal Process Improvements" manager (responsible for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, etc).

   When I left that job, I was a bit lost for quite some time about who I was at that point in my life.
As mentioned in an earlier post, I woke up one morning and spontaneously started to write poetry.
So, it looked like I was drifting toward the creative side of myself.  I've had a long standing interest in the visual arts but basically not much in the way of formal education.  Took a few adult education classes, a few courses for the general public at Filoli Gardens and worked for a couple of months with an actual artist on my drawing skills.

    Here are some samples:






























These include 3 pastels, one of my first oil paintings and a charcoal drawing I completed in a class with a local artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment